Friday, March 30, 2007

The Acid Test

This is something I had previously posted on my other blog. I think it an important aspect of tasting and enjoying wine. Cheers, J


I had been meaning to write a post on “acid” with regards to wine. Well Robin Garr did it for me. I think he does great job of explaining acid in wine. If you have any interest in wine, I recommend reading this and then experimenting. Try a wine before you begin to eat and then have it with you meal. See the effect of food on your wine. I like to open two different wines, maybe a pinot noir from California (generally lower acidity) and a pinot noir from Burgundy (generally higher acid), so that I can compare them with and without food. When you get use to identifying the acidity in wine, you will be better able to pick the right wine. If you want a wine just to drink and enjoy with your friends prior to a meal, you may choose a wine with less acidity. The wine still needs balance and should not be flabby. Once the food comes, you can open something with more acidity so that the food can shine as well.

Click Here

Jason

2 comments:

Dr. Dietz said...

This might be a fun tasting to do as a VLG. Most of can't open 2 bottles at once, but maybe the VLGers could do that... I especially like the idea of doing this with Pinot.

J@VLG said...

I agree. This would be the perfect group to do the test. Let's discuss at the next meeting.

J